Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mosaic Switchplate workshop coming to Auburn in March 2014

Last spring, my daughter's friend asked me if it would be possible to mosaic switchplates.  You know, the plastic covers that fit over light switches; usually that bland "cream" color, and purely functional.  I wondered why it had never occurred to me to decorate my own switchplates.

Well, for one, they are plastic, and plastic is not an ideal substrate for mosaic.  A mosaic artist would not normally work on a plastic surface.  However, switchplates are small and hard, so there isn't much flex in them.  I started experimenting with adhesives and designs, and began, one by one, covering all of my own switchplates in mosaic.

I made very simple designs:
By cutting glass pieces into random quadrangles, with a "fiesta" palette, I was able to make this quick and easy cover within an hour (not including grout.)

This switchplate is framed with ball chain and filled with various quadrangles in a simple pattern, which looks stylish and elegant.
I also tried making a picture on a switchplate:
This took a few hours and includes a fused glass bird and flower and leaf beads, as well as seed beads for the flower stems.  This would be very difficult for a beginner, and I would have to charge too much to sell them.
I eventually found a happy medium, creating patterns that are fairly simple for me to cut and assemble, yet result in a lovely, unique design:
I think this one is my favorite.  It is in a small bathroom painted bright blue, green, & teal.  The black and white patterned border sets it off, and small millefiori beads are cute accents.

My living room is in these colors, and this came out looking a bit art deco, which I love.  But the cuts and design are quite simple for someone with experience.

This is another simple pattern.  I sold this one at an art show and benefit.

Ball chain and beads, along with a striking color combination, make this switchplate extra pretty.  I sold this at a show.

I wanted to go with a monochromatic palette on this one, rather than bright colors.

I can't get the colors to render properly in this image, but it is another favorite.  It is dark red, opalescent teal, pale pink & purple, shimmering gold, and yellow-greens.
This is just a selection of the switchplates I've made, and I've learned a lot by trial and error in the process.  So, I'll be teaching my technique at a workshop in Auburn, WA on March 15th.  The workshop will cover how to prep the base, appropriate adhesives, creating pattern, introduction to cutting stained glass, and a grout demonstration.  I'll send students home with grout to finish their projects.  Tools are not included in the cost of the class.  Beginner students can get by with wheeled nippers (search online, or go to Home Depot's flooring department.)  But, to make custom shapes with glass, you'll need a glass scorer (toyo glass cutter is my choice), breaker-grozier pliers, and running pliers.  A full set of tools should cost about $45.  If you would prefer, order them from me up to 2 weeks prior to the class (to give me time to get them for you.)

The skills learned in the class will apply to most small mosaic projects, as well, so it is a great introduction to mosaic.  To register:  http://www.auburnwa.gov/things_to_do/arts_entertainment/art_classes.htm

1 comment:

  1. How do you adhere the ball chain to your substrate? Even after gluing, mine is wiggly and I am worried that it will loosen more during grouting. Any tips you can share?

    ReplyDelete