Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Introducing Reham Aarti - Idaho Mosaic Artist

I am lucky to know so many amazing people! I'm going to start finding time to write a little bit about each of them here. Most of them are doing interesting, wonderful projects, and I want to help spread the word.

Today, let me introduce you to Reham Aarti:

In 2016, I was attending the annual American Mosaic Summit in San Diego, and a friend who works for the Washington State Arts Commission sent me a facebook message saying to keep an eye out for Reham. She thought we would hit it off. The only information I had was that she has blue hair. I mentioned it to my roommate, Krystie Rose.

Later that evening, when I returned to the room, Krystie Rose said, "Look who I found." And there was this adorable woman with blue hair sitting on the bed! A group of us were planning to head out for dinner. Reham had her own plans, to meet a family friend for a Mediterranean dinner. Reham was born and raised in Kuwait, and is an American citizen (no trace of an accent, even) living in Boise. The group was going to join forces with Reham and her friend, and we were all on our way to a Lebanese restaurant in two cars, when something came up for the other group and they turned back. I found myself out with two people I had only just met, and I felt a bit like a third wheel.

For about 10 minutes.

Reham and her friend spent the car ride talking about their experiences living through the Gulf War, and I learned that Reham had been active in the resistance, against her father's wishes. Conversationally, I had absolutely nothing to contribute, but it was fascinating to listen and learn. And by the time we were eating a humongous dinner (Reham's friend knew the owner, and we were served a lavish meal) I felt completely welcome. Reham is outgoing, warm, and hilarious. I felt extreme gratitude that I had gotten into her car so that I had a reason to get to know her better.
Wonder Wall, public art mosaic by Reham Aarti


As we shared pictures of our work, there was an immediate kinship. Our approaches are similar. We both love folk-arty aesthetics with bright, dynamic colors. We work in similar arenas, mixing private commissions with public art, and are just doing our best to keep finding and making mosaic to support our families, doing something we love. However, I have a partner who supports me. Reham is flying solo, raising two boys on an artist's income.

Reham has started using the Patreon platform to help fund more public art projects for Boise schools. Her particular focus is creating "buddy benches." Read more and consider contributing here: Reham Aarti on Patreon

If you love mosaic and/or public art and art for kids, keep an eye out for future projects by Reham!


No comments:

Post a Comment