Monday, February 27, 2023

Metamorphosis; a Community Mural...and then some.



In 2021, I put out a call for mosaic butterflies with a goal of creating something with and for Monarch Sculpture Park in Tenino, WA. However, multiple obligations took precedence, both for me and John, the caretaker of the park. He took two other jobs teaching ceramics full time. I was selected/hired for a steady stream of commissions. We both have had our hands full, and the mosaic butterflies that were received were kept in storage.

So, in 2023, I decided to pursue a different community project that uses the butterflies in a new design. Since I'm going to be the featured artist for Olympia's fall Arts Walk festival, I am coordinating a mural to culminate during the event. This mural will have a figure emerging from a chrysalis as the centerpiece, designed to be a photo-op where visitors can become part of the mural. I'm toying with adding stylized trees on each side with open cocoons on the branches, as if all of these butterflies have recently emerged. The message is about transformation of societies and individuals, and the idea of becoming our most splendid, magnificent selves.

As of February 2023, I have not secured a wall or funding. I have been awarded fiscal sponsorship by The Field NYC, an organization that accepts tax deductible donations to support individual artists through crowdfunding. I have just launched my first fundraiser: https://app.thefield.org/home/donation/crowd/view/185/Community-Mural-Seed-Fund?fbclid=IwAR3SxFVp0vSdESPqL7jCtPfVuCc3ibTrDzbCfn2K5Aj_cE-9uhR6-ycjWRo

My hope is that the 501C3 status will encourage businesses to partner with me on this. In fact, for years, I've been wanting to establish a program for community art in the South Sound region. I'm getting ahead of myself, but I have a vision for the future that includes creating art for neighborhoods, schools and organizations through community engagement that will grow into a larger endeavor. Community art is empowering for the participants, brings people together across all barriers, and helps to beautify spaces. We can accomplish more with less resources by using this approach, and there is so much plain concrete all around us, I think we should be adding colorful art to as much of it as possible.

But for right now, I'm going to take a leap and see if we can get this one mural made. Suggestions and leads are very welcome. I'll be seeking grants to increase my ability to offer hands-on activities in Olympia from May to October. In the meantime, You Be You!

April Update: We have a wall!

This wall is on the back side of Lloyd's Automotive, facing 4th Ave., next to McCoy's Tavern. It is set back enough that pedestrians will be safe to pose in front of it and it is a stone's throw from my first ever community project, the Artesian Well (2012). 

April 9 update: Honed design, superimposed on the wall:
My Procreate skills are clunky, but I did my best to show how the mural will look on the wall of 425 4th Ave. in Olympia, WA.



May Update: 

The last weekend of April, I was at Olympia Spring Arts Walk leading the initial activity, having participants make the wings of the figure with recycled glass tiles. Turnout was fantastic, as was the weather, and we finished the wings over 2 days. Since then, I've been slowly tidying and filling the mosaic and applying for any grants I thing I might qualify for. So far, I've been able to pay for materials and admin through the fundraiser, but in order to offer workshops through summer, I really need to raise more funds. Otherwise, I have to take on commissions to keep my bills paid. Either way, the central figure will go up, along with as many butterflies as I receive (I have about 10 so far.)
Councilman Dontae Payne and his family

A snapshot of the activity at Arts Walk. 

Hands working together...

Sunkissed participant



No comments:

Post a Comment